
It won't be too long before Tottenham Court/Charing Cross Road area changes its spots for good. Everyone knows that the Astoria's foundations are slowly being chipped away ready for one of those Fred Dibnah style bricks and mortar collapses. But recently it was announced that the whole Crossrail ting is also going to force the closure of the Metro Club.
Now, the Metro Club had the shitest sound since sound was created. The kind that would make your hearing go on holiday for a week after exposure, Red Stripe cost about 8 squid a can and I'm not losing any sleep that the place is due for the hammer and chisel.
However, I do have a few good memories of the gaff. The time when I asked the DJ to play "Reward" by the Teardrop Explodes and he dropped it the very next song. The time when a friend found out about the "Rockabilly till 10pm" policy. The time with the sexy Swede (White and gentile!!! Must have been an off day). And the time when I slipped a tab under an unknowing friend's tongue (he didn't spit it out mind).

The last time I went, nearly 2 years ago, I noticed how fucking old I was. I didn't recognise any of the tunes, except a Bluetones one and "Blinded By The Sun" by the Seahorses. The Seahorses for fucks sake!!!! What sort of DJ plays them!!! You can't even dance to "Blinded By The Sun"!!! Needless to say it was quite bollocks. No beats and kids tripping on indie and booze (snooze) alone. Needless to say it was one of those taps on the shoulder from above instructing one to move on and get back into raving. Thank Jesu for Plastic, let's hope a tubeline don't take that from us.
Bye Metro, it was fun, but my ears fucking hated you.
Jah Bless.
Yeah if it ain't Plastic it ain't worth it.
ReplyDelete